obey-robots.txt
Onderwerp bekijken
Draadloos internetten met wifi geeft vaak problemen. De snelheid is traag, de verbinding valt weg. Het kanaal is bezet. Hier zijn vragen, oplossingen en tools. Ziggo levert de volgende WiFi routers: Netgear JWNR 2000, Netgear WGR 614, Sitecom WL 582, Sitecom WL 351, Sitecom WL 153, Sitecom WL 341. Internet Dongles: Netgear WNDA3100V2, Netgear WN111, Sitecom WL172, Sitecom WN344. Maar voor andere types als Linksys, D-Link, Cisco, TP-Link kunt u ook uw vragen stellen.
 Onderwerp afdrukken
Is a special router needed for wi fi?
Batin
I apologise for writing this in English. I understand Dutch well, but my reading skills are better than my writing abilities. (-:

I hope someone can help. I have a small notebook and would like to use a wi-fi network, both at home and when I travel.

Do I need to have a special wi-fi router for this? Or a special USB wi-fi stick?

When I turn on the notebook and click on "draadloze netwerkverbinding", I get the message that I'm connected and that the connection is strong. However, when I try to call up mozilla
I continually get the message "Address not found".

I've tried using a "normal" Sitecom router that I happen to have, but the problem remains.
No wi-fi connection, even though it says I'm connected.

Can someone explain what I need to do to get a proper wi-fi connection?

Thank you.

Batin

Zippo
First of all lets start at the beginning.

You have a cable modem from Ziggo. Do you normally use an router? If yes, does it work correctly. If no, when connected does your wired internet works?
Kies BBcode image, plak in handtekening.

?id=1wqxcou
speed-testing

Batin
Thank you for responding, Zippo.

Yes, I have a cable modem from Ziggo. I don't normally use a router at all, as I previously only used my main PC, which was connected directly to the motorola modem.

I have no problem with the internet when my PC or notebook are connected to the modem.

Using the router with both machines (PC & notebook), I'm able to connect both to the internet.
(PC & notebook plugged into router, which in turn is plugged into the modem.)

When I remove the USB cable from the notebook, the message above the menu at the bottom of the notebook screen is "Er is nu verbinding met draadloze netwerkverbinging. Signal goed."

However, in fact I'm not able to call up Mozilla.

The router appears to work all right.

I hope this information is useful.

Donna

Zippo
Ok that clears things up. Because i thought of the possibility your cable modem did not configure properly with your router. Just to make sure, always power down all equipment and power up in this order.

1. cable modem
2. router
3. pc/laptop

Other possible problem is the configuration of your wireless lan adapter.

Make sure ip and dns are set to automatic instead of by hand and no proxy is set.
Did you connect to your own wireless netwerk and not your neighbors?

?id=1wqxcou
speed-testing

Batin
Thanks again, Zippo. When you say power up and down in that order, do you mean when turning things on and off? Because I always leave the modem on (and the router as well, now that I'm trying to use it). And my PC is always on as well (unless I'm away for long periods.) Forgive this question if it's absolutely too ridiculous...

Re the wireless network: That's the problem. I don't yet have a wireless network. That's why I was wondering whether I needed a special kind of router for wi-fi.
When I try to use wi-fi with the notebook (I've just recently bought it and have simply been trying to test it), of course I get someone else's network, which I don't want. The thing is, even that doesn't work. It says I'm connected but I'm not.

UPDATE: OK, I'm looking now at the Wizard Draadlos Netwerk Instellen window.
I'm hoping this might hold the answer to the problem. Where it asks for a netwerknaam
(SSID), do I simply create a name of my own or is it information I need to obtain from
somewhere? And what is meant by a netwerksleutel? Is this information I should get
from Ziggo?

Batin

1. cable modem
2. router
3. pc/laptop

Other possible problem is the configuration of your wireless lan adapter.

Make sure ip and dns are set to automatic instead of by hand and no proxy is set.
Did you connect to your own wireless netwerk and not your neighbors?>
Gewijzigd door Batin op 17-04-2009 20:57

Batin
Thank you for jumping in here as well, Zuggo. (-:

Yes, that's what is happening. I don't have my own wireless network yet.
It's what I'm trying to get. (-:

To clarify: The PC and Notebook USB cables are both plugged into the router.
Then there's a short USB cable running from the Sitecom router to the modem.
Yes, I have a router and a modem. But I never use the router just for the PC.
I thought the router was something I needed to use to get the wi-fi connection
for the Notebook.

Perhaps this "normal" Sitecom router isn't appropriate for wi-fi usage.
Tomorrow I'll look for the type of router you suggested.

And I then simply create my own SSID (network name) and password
in the Instelling Wizard?

Batin

Zuggo schreef:
Hello Batin,

Maybe I can help you.
I guess you don't have a wireless network yet. Propably your notebook is picking up someone's else network Smile

You wrote that your PC & notebook are directly connected to the modem. What do you mean with "(PC & notebook plugged into router, which in turn is plugged into the modem.)"; it's a little bit confusing.
Do I understand you have a modem and a router?

To establish a wireless network connection there must be a non-wireless connection between modem and router (using an ethernet connector). The connection between your router and your PC/ Notebook is wireless; Your router is the transmitter and therefore equipped with an antenna. If you don't have the right router you can buy it everywhere. A reliable router is Apple's Airport Express / Extreme.

If this is setup you need to create and configure your own network.
If you use Windows you can configure your own network using "Wizard Draadlos Netwerk Instellen window." (I don't use Windows), using your own created networkname and "netwerksleutel" (= your own created password). These information is not provided by Ziggo.

Cheers!

Batin
Okay, I think we're closing in on this. (-:

So I need to buy an appropriate router (e.g. Belkin or Airport Express) PLUS ethernet cables/connectors? (And then do the SSID/password thing.)

Donna

Zuggo schreef:
Aha ..... you're also confusing ethernet cables with USB. Wink

But remember no matter what kind of router you're using just plug you're ethernet-connector from modem to router. That's all!!! After that it's just creating your own network.

Router: choose the one that's 802.11 G-compatibie. Reliable routers: Belkin or Apple's Airport Express / Extreme.

And yes... using Windows wizard you simply create your own SSID (network name) and password.

Cheers!

Batin
Okey-doke, that's pretty much what the cable looks like. (The one that came with the Notebook.)
What it says on it is: FT4 ETL verified CAT. 5e UTP TIA/EIA-5688.2.
Apparently I thought this was a USB cable rather than an ethernet cable.

I'll get the router first thing tomorrow. (And hope there are no complications in setting it up!
I'm not technically gifted. (-: )

I'll post tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

Thank you again for this assistance. I feel I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel...

Batin

Zuggo schreef:
Hello Donna,

You only need the router. If it's right you're already have the ethernet cables; it looks like this: ( see attachment).

This cable will be the connection between modem and router and that's all. Don't forget to create your new own network using your Windows wizard.

Cheers!

Gewijzigd door Batin op 17-04-2009 23:51

Zippo
Back to basics.

You need a router with wifi option. Your pc or laptop needs also a wifi adapter.

You can create a wireless connection between them. Preferably an encrypted one for security reasons. When encrypted you need to enter a network key (netwerk sleutel). Obviously you need to know the key. In your own wireless router you can set this key! When you're trying to connect to
an unknown available wifi network you don't have the key and therefore no access.

?id=1wqxcou
speed-testing

Batin
Thanks, Zippo.

This was what I'd wondered about: a special type of router, i.e. with a wi fi option.
I didn't know about needing a wi fi adapter. This wasn't mentioned either at the time
I purchased the Notebook or when I took it back to ask (unsuccessfully) for help regarding wi fi.
In summary: I need a new router (e.g. Belkin or Apple, as suggested by Zuggo) and a wi-fi
adapter for the Notebook. Then I create and enter a key

I'm off to to the shop shortly.

Batin

Zippo schreef:
Back to basics.

You need a router with wifi option. Your pc or laptop needs also a wifi adapter.

You can create a wireless connection between them. Preferably an encrypted one for security reasons. When encrypted you need to enter a network key (netwerk sleutel). Obviously you need to know the key. In your own wireless router you can set this key! When you're trying to connect to
an unknown available wifi network you don't have the key and therefore no access.

Deze website gebruikt Awin affiliate links en Google advertenties, om deze service voor iedereen gratis te houden.
Spring naar forum:
Nieuw onderwerp Antwoorden
Gebruik BBcode of HTML om naar; 'Is a special router needed for wi fi?', te verwijzen!
BBcode:
HTML:
Vergelijkbare onderwerpen
Onderwerp Forum         Laatste bericht
ASUS Router RT-AC66U_B1 IPv6 activeren Hardware instellingen : 2 25-11-2021
Router aanschaffen?? WiFi, draadloos netwerk : 3 01-02-2018
Website(s) blokkeren op Cisco router Ziggo kabel modems: Ubee, Cisco, Motorola, Arris, etc. : 5 07-07-2016
Ubee modem gebruiken als router Ziggo kabel modems: Ubee, Cisco, Motorola, Arris, etc. : 17 03-06-2016
Router: Sitecom WLR-5002 (AC750) Software vragen : 4 07-03-2016
Advertentie